“A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it.” — George A. Moore, Irish novelist (1852-1933)
Dr. Thurber has devoted much of his professional career to providing helpful resources to families, especially those families who understand the essential symbiosis of school, family, and camp.
Both Dr. Thurber and his wife, Simonida, volunteer for the public schools in Exeter, New Hampshire, where they live with their two boys, Dacha (born 2002) and Sava (born 2004). To experience more of the Thurber family’s escapades, navigate to the CampSpirit.com page About > Family or visit the Thurber’s YouTube channel, Exeter Thurbers. The rest of this page is devoted to resources for your family.
Many of Dr. Thurber’s parenting workshops are sponsored by schools and summer camps and provided as a free service to families. For example, he is a favorite presenter at the Wright Start Preschool in Exeter, New Hampshire. To schedule parenting workshops in your area, contact Dr. Thurber directly.
Resources for Families
- Includes 78 concise, practical parenting lessons from leading professionals
- Edited by Jerry and Lorin Biederman
- Featuring “How to Handle Homesickness” by Dr. Chris Thurber
- Includes wonderful chapters on everything from avoiding power struggles and preventing bullying to homeschooling and homesickness
- Click here to purchase from Amazon.com
The Secret Ingredients of Summer Camp Success (DVD-CD set)
- Includes an awesome 25-minute DVD for new camper families
- Hosted by Dr. Chris Thurber…and lots of real campers
- Proven to lower the intensity of first-year campers’ homesickness by 50%, on average.
- Includes an audio CD for parents to listen to in the car, after opening-day drop-off.
- Click here to purchase from the American Camp Association
- Featured on The Today Show, Martha Stuart, and NPR.
- Co-authored by Dr. Chris Thurber and Dr. Jon Malinowski
- Everything you need to find, choose, and get ready for overnight camp—and skip the homesickness
- Available free online at SummerCampHandbook.com
- Click here to purchase a paper copy from Amazon.com
- Hailed as “…the best scholarship from all areas of child studies.”
- Edited by Richard A. Shweder
- More than 500 articles on children and childhood from pediatrics, child psychology, childhood studies, education, sociology, history, law, anthropology
- Featuring “Camp, Summer,” a concise history of organized summer camp
- Click here to purchase a copy from Amazon.com
Find even more resources for parents on the Publications section of CampSpirit.com